What is the duality of Gullibility? Questioning everything?
What is the duality of believing everything you read? Questioning everything?
What is the duality of Instinct? Choice?
Some believe it is a first instinct to believe everything you read or hear. Obviously if someone tells you something so far out you will likely question it before believing. But in general I believe we do believe first.
And why shouldn’t we believe our parents our governments or our fellow man when they tell us something. If we trust them then I think it is safe and natural to believe what they tell us. And if the trust runs low we can always change churches, religions, or our politicians. A perfect system for growth or stagnation I think. A perfect duality.
And what about “Faith”? I once read Faith being explained as believing what you can’t prove. I was also tempted to believe this when I first read it.
Faith is much more than that but fundamentally this definition is accurate. Logic tells us we don't have all the answers. But people want and need answers thus they believe and bring faith into their lives for either the right or the wrong reason.
So as the world religious and political leaders scream for you to have faith and ask for God’s Blessing, I say why not take this easier path of not questioning. Questioning makes you an outsider, an atheist, a criminal a heretic.
But why is it that our religious and political leaders have so much control? Is it because they claim to know best or to have our best interests in mind? And do we believe them at first instinct?
A quote from Buddha: “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
But don't even believe this quote for Science has proved this to be incorrect over and over again. Reason and common sense is not a static skill for most people. Most people’s ability to reason changes with age and wisdom. Most people’s ability to enhance their common sense gets better with age.
So what if this quote changed "Believe" "Have Faith” thus I steel a quote and make it my own????
Have faith in everything and nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
This is duality. No wonder we want to believe everything we read. It’s so much easier. Oops I meant to say no wonder our instinct is to believe everything we read.
An article I read that inspired this post:
Why You Can’t Help Believing Everything You Read
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment