When I walk into the grocery store I find it amazing how fast the self checkout lines seem to be expanding. What I really want to know is:
How many people are replaced by 6 self checkout machines? Our store has 1 attendant for 12 self checkouts now.
How much time does a self checkout save people? What do people do with that extra time?
Do any of the people who use the self checkouts know of any family members or friends that are unemployed? Do any of the people who use them have teenagers who can’t get a job?
My wife the other day actually mentioned this to one of the checkers (10 items). The checker actually thanked my wife.
Next question: Do all the checkers really know this about self checkout? Has a checker ever mentioned this to their family and friends? If so, I think the word would be out and someone would have suggested a boycott of self checkout long ago. Or maybe the media could run a spot on technologies impact on unemployment.
Sorry for being so illogical here I finally see the errors in my logic. Duality got in the way of my thinking so let me speculate what really goes through the minds of people at a self checkout:
People don’t want a boycott on self checkout because maybe they are thinking:
Hmm, True my (fill in the blank here) lost their job but if I boycott self checkout then it will actually impact me hugely. Some people might think that hiring an extra person would cut into the profits of the store but actually what will happen is that the store will have to raise prices on all my groceries to cover the extra expense. And I agree the store profits should not be lowered because the store is important and provides a valuable service of bringing groceries so close to my home which saves me time.
Does anyone see duality within the duality of that last paragraph?
On a final note I leave with you a link to the future in building our homes
And in case your wondering, yes it can be scaled up to build any type of building.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment