Friday, April 2, 2010

Duality of Communication

Duality of Social Communication? Antisocial communication? How can communication be antisocial you ask? When social communication also becomes antisocial communication at the same time due to a more important reality.

I have an earlier post similar to this but found a great Ted video below and decided to bring it up again.

When someone says something in a text is it possible to tell if they are sad, mad, happy, joking or serious? Has anyone ever been misunderstood while talking face to face with someone? Have they ever been misunderstood while texting? What is the ratio of misunderstanding between the two forms of communication? Has the new generation simplified their communication so that misunderstandings don’t take place while texting.

The last long text I sent to a youth proved very frustrating thus I reduced my texting 99.9%. Granted I did not text much before. Today’s youth were pushed into texting to save cell phone minutes and now I wonder what was created. I think youth actually prefer texting to talking.

If you ask more than one question don’t expect a youth to be able to follow the text. Whether they can follow it or not you have made it complicated enough for them to be in control of the conversation. They can answer "Yes" and you will have no idea which of the several questions you had asked that they are answering. The directive "Call Me" generates the response "Why". Answers like "I'm with "___" are acceptable for questions that ask where they are.

Now the real issue here just may be my age. I have no problem texting my wife but I would never text her when there is something important that requires the art of communication. You know the fluctuations in voice, the opinions, the interaction that can only be done face to face or by necessity by phone.


The Video is a bit less harsh and funnier than my post and I my favorite key points are:

Texting brings an expectation of availability and obligation to availability.

Our reality is less interesting than the story that will be told about it later.


No comments:

Post a Comment