What is the duality of a speed trap? A Space trap?
When GPS navigation came out I remember thinking that it would not be long before you would be able to get traffic information real time. I knew from my handheld GPS that it could also provide speed of travel as well. This led me to believe that one day you would probably get internet in your car and this would lead to a GPS speeding ticket appearing right on your screen.
But after further analysis I find this will probably not happen. Knowing that you may or may not get away with speeding allows people to make choices. If they were being monitored by machines full time for speeding they would never speed. No speeding, no speed traps meaning less ticket revenue for the state and less police officers.
When I read the below article it took me a bit to analyze its impact. Would you speed less if you knew that satellites may be tracking your speed? How many cars can the track? How big of an area can they track? Would revenue from tickets increase or decrease? The only thing that is a given is that it could replace a staffed speed trap. Would this cause some unemployment, or would the police take on other responsibilities
Article Link:
New speed cameras trap motorists from space
Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment